On April 7 and 8th I spent time at WordCamp Jacksonville and spoke in their Building WP Track on WordPress Automation. Unlike, WordCamp Miami, I actually had time to give a full talk on the topic.
Watch the video that is on WordPress TV:
You can see my slides here:
This year WordCamp Miami was very eventful and as an experienced organizer, it still took me by surprise. I might go until details later but I gave a lightning talk at WCMIA in the Developer track on WordPress Automation. I enjoy making life simple so figuring out ways to automate WordPress regardless if it is for development or content.
View my slides:
This was a presentation given at WordCamp Miami 2016. Your clients should know how to add, edit and delete any content on their website without the need to reach out to a developer.
1. Creating Themes for Clients
2. Your clients should know how to add, edit and delete any content on their website without the need to reach out to a developer. What Are You Talking About? #WCMIA @jfeliweb
3. Planning Site Structure ➔Sitemap ➔Custom Post Types ➔Custom Fields ➔Sliders/Carousels ➔Content Structure #WCMIA @jfeliweb
4. Simplify Backend Keep It Simple Straight to the point Remove Dashboard Widgets Remove unused menu items ○ Tools & Editor Add Custom Posts and Custom Fields if it is necessary #WCMIA @jfeliweb
5. Customizer / Theme Options Less is More Based on the client’s need Well Organized Goes back to planning (slide 3) #WCMIA @jfeliweb
6. “If it isn’t documented, it doesn’t exist.” ~ Jeff Atwood #WCMIA @jfeliweb
7. Documentation Document Everything Reference Inline documentation and comments Glossary Tutorial Manual Readme WordPress help menu FAQ User guide Screencast #WCMIA @jfeliweb
8. Document Tools? WP Help by Mark Jaquith: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp- help/ Video User Manual: http://www.videousermanuals.com/ Easy WP Guide: https://easywpguide.com/ Simple Documentation by Mathieu Hays: https://wordpress.org/plugins/client- documentation/ WP101: https://www.wp101.com/ Smashing Magazine: https://www.smashingmagazine.com/ 2012/07/writing-effective-wordpress- documentation/ #WCMIA @jfeliweb
9. “Going above & beyond involves making customers feel special and helping them out even when it may not make sense” ~ Neil Patel, KISSmetrics #WCMIA @jfeliweb
10. Thanks! Questions? Full Blog Post at http://jfe.li/1U99ANP Jean ‘Jeazy’ Felisme ➔ Freelance Web Developer & Designer at BizDots Media ➔ Worked with WordPress since version 2.6 (2008) ➔ Co-founder of Rate My Barber ➔ Family Guy firstname.lastname@example.org www.JeanFelisme.com @jfeliweb
The presentation was given on Saturday, April 19th for WordCamp Miami Beginners Workshop.
1. Working w/ WordPress Importing/Exporting, Customizing, and Troubleshooting
2. It’s me… Jean Felisme WordPress Designer and Developer @jfeliweb email@example.com bizdotsmedia.co | jeanfelisme.com
3. You did it!!!! Domain Hosting WordPress Theme Plugin …Now What? The Good Stuff!
4. Before you start… Things to Know… ● Basic Knowledge of HTML and CSS ● Text Editor ● Local Development | Development Site www.mamp.info OR serverpress.com ● A Cool Head ● Backup Everything
5. Site Backup • Why you should backup? • Manually Backup your site. • Plugin to use to backup. (BackupBuddy) • Content Backup (Import/Export)
6. Import/Export Content Importing Types From other sites o Tumblr o Blogger o WordPress etc…
7. Import/Export Content Export
8. Customizing Walkthrough of… • Reading Settings • Appearance Editor o Theme Options CSS Fields • Child Theme
9. Customizing Child Theme Child Theme Folder ○ style.css
10. Reading settings…
11. Appearance Editor
12. Troubleshooting Stay Calm What was the last action performed before receiving the error? Check Backups Ohh Noo!
13. Troubleshooting Syntax Error Why? ● Plugin Update ● Code Snippets ● Memory Limit
14. The Fix FTP to file ○ rename plugin ○ undo change file Troubleshooting Syntax Error
15. Troubleshooting White Screen of Death Why? Most times its an exhausted the memory limit • Cause by Plugin(s) • Cause by Theme • Cause by Web Host
16. Troubleshooting Demo of fixing the White Screen of Death ● Disable Plugins ● Switch to Default Theme ○ Increase Memory limits ○ Going even farther ■ WP_Debug ■ PHP.INI file
17. Resources WordPress Codex (codex.wordpress.org) WordPress Forums (wordpress.org/support/) WPBeginner (www.wpbeginner.com) Google Search (google.com) StackOverflow WordPress (wordpress.stackexchange.com)
18. Questions? email: jean@BizDotsMedia.com Twitter: @jfeliweb websites: BizDotsMedia.co | JeanFelisme.com